Saturday, December 31, 2011

On the sixth day of Christmas ...

... we visited Heide.

I've visited Heide quite frequently over the last 25 years or so. Originally only the 'new house' (Heide 2) housed exhibitions. My favourite part of the estate was always the kitchen garden just down the hill from Heide 2, on the way to the river.

These days the kitchen garden is looking rather unkempt but the restored vegetable gardens and orchards around Heide 1 (the original farmhouse) almost compensate. I was delighted to discover that the garden supplies herbs and vegetables to the café, so I took a photograph of the rocket bed that may have contributed to my lunch.

For my birthday my sister gave me Sunday's kitchen: food and living at Heide. The library in Heide 1 holds a shelf of cookbooks owned by Sunday Reed. The books range from health food cookery to French and Indian cuisine, including the little known Indian cookery by E.D. Veerasawmy. It seemed appropriate that we celebrated my birthday (again) with dinner at an Indian restaurant that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment